Peaceful Easy Feeling

August 28, 2007, 6:04 pm

I'm kind-of-on-the-road......

Waiting in Minot, North Dakota....still...for my TV to be replaced.  That was supposed to happen a week ago Monday (8/20).  If it hasn't happened by this Thursday, I will start all over with the process in Kansas.  That's where I am going to see dear friends & neighbors (of 14-15 years) over the Labor Day weekend.  Like everything .....this wait 'is what it is' ....& most of you know what it's like dealing with service people.  I'll just leave it there!

Meanwhile....I've been busy here in this land of vast prairies where the buffalo still roam (lots of them),
and a badlands area where Theodore Roosevelt once roamed.  His presence is still quite alive.  I understand more now why this part of the country is referred to as the Heartland.  It's not only the middle of our nation, its people embody solid middle America values....just down-home-down-to-earth-work hard-helpful and friendly people....


Bismark (the capital) has been rated as number one in the country for its quality of life and the "Least stressful city in America."  I also can see why roam and roaming are used a lot for this area.  There's so much room to roam!  Sometimes I think I'm the only person on the road...sometimes I am.  There is a good balance of attractions, historical sites and cultural activities abound.

Everywhere, of course, is Lewis & Clark & Sakakawea, the legendary "bird woman" who accompanied L & C on their way west. 

Next door to Bismark, with the Missouri River in the middle, is Mandan, also steeped in history.  It's a very attractive (touristy) town with art galleries, museums, ballet & symphony...things that attract visitors.

Close by is Theodore Roosevelt National Park where I had time to leisurely see it all.  I spent 2 glorious nights in the Juniper primitive camp site ... the weather was perfect for late evening walking with TaZzi and greeting other friendly campers & their dogs...some in pop ups, some in tents...few in RV's.  See many of my posted pictures of this area.....

If Teddy were here today, he would feel very much at home and have lots of buffalo to shoot.  Wrong...don't think he could do that today in his park.  The park is in 2 units....the South Unit and the North Unit.  I first did the South Unit which is above another little town called Medora (also a bit touristy, but not bad).  You have to drive another 50+ miles to get to the North Unit

Oh, BTW....I'm actually lucky to be back in the U.S.  For a while, I didn't think they were going to let me back in from Canada.  Going through customs from US to Canada was just a few questions and the relinquishing of my pepper spray...they didn't come inside and search.  Different story getting back in.  Two customs very serious men got in "Phoebe McGee" and went through all my stuff...don't think they missed anything...glove box, refrigerator, under the sofa, closet, shelves, drawers.......and went through all my books.....especially the one lying on the sofa I'm presently reading.....called "The Afghan".  Guess it helped that I had some other more appropriate reading material around as well; like the Bible and John Steinbeck....

TaZzi had a nice birthday last Tuesday...no I didn't bake her a cake but I gave her special treats all day and some roast beef mixed with her dog food for dinner.  She knew something was special! 

I'll probably blog from Kansas next... til then have....

.......peaceful easy feelings....   

No comments: