Rain in the Desert

December 2009

                     Rain, when never experienced in the Baja, is doing interesting things to my soul.

As I watch it clean my dust-ridden RV....turn the brown to green....make what's already green get greener....normally active people become invisible...nowhere to be seen...

Thoughts of the sun warm me....people I know touch me....memories of the beach caress me....tastes of the holidays fill me....dreams of what may be thrill me......discovery of culture stirs me.......friends with talent for art swells me with pride...

The death of dogs too soon, angers me, the disappearance and perhaps death of mascot dog, Carolina has me as sad and as weepy as the rain. What could have happened to this beautiful and devoted and bouncy alpha dog...did the firecrackers of the season cause her to run.....we've looked everywhere. She may have been around for 10 years but she's a puppy to all of us.

It's quiet down here this year....tourist and snow birds stayed put....some out of fear of the faux news of the violence in the country.....some out of fear of the dollar/pesos. The shopkeepers close up or never open or move on with never changing attitudes of their remarkable blend of faith, family, friends, and tradition.

My view as I write...

Yes....it's raining in the Baja today.....gentle.....mesmerizing.....and most of all..... cleansing.....it is cleansing my soul.

No comments: