New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival

May 12, 2007, 9:58 pm


notes from the Big Easy,,,,In humid high 80* weather I went to 2 days (Saturday & Sunday) of Jazz Fest...I wasn't disappointed.  Among the artists.....Harry Connick, Jr., Allen Toussant,  Branford Marsales, John Mayer, Allman Brothers, John Legend, Stephen Marley, Steely Dan, New Edition, Taj Mahal and tons of Zydeco, Cajun, Funk, Soul and oh so much glorious food ..... shrimp ... crabcakes ... crawfish ... cat fish ...


On the Sunday line-up was a "living" tribute to:  Alvin Batiste, a legend Jazz artist (clarinetist) born in New Orleans.


On Sunday morning early (just hours before his appearance) he died of a heart attack in his sleep.  The tribute went on with added musicians and his 3 children were a part of it.  In N. O. death is a celebration....as you know...not a sad time.  Scheduled for the "living" tribute were Branford Marsalis, Harry Connick, Jr., & Bob French (N.O. drummer).  It was outrageous!  So glad I was there.....

..

The most frustrating part of the fest was picking the stage...........some artists I wanted to see were appearing simultaneously with each other.  Since it was so crowded and I couldn't sit anyway....I just stage hopped ..... catching a bit of some of what I wanted to see/hear.

On Sunday morning before I left, I met a couple from London, Liz & Peter, in the hospitality room of the RV Park/Motel.  We "got on" as the Brits would say, so we decided to share a cab to the fest.  They didn't even know about the fest, but they thought "why be here and not go?"  They were great fun and we shared lots of conversations/observations about politics, culture, and New Orleans (post Katrina).  We hung out all of Sunday.





Speaking of Katrina.....I met so many affected people.... some in the RV Park, Cab Drivers, clerks in stores, banks.........

.....my nosey.....journalistic skills were popping out all over.......& I must say I have a different perspective now....that's all I'll say about that now. 

 

No comments: